The Royal Chapel
The Royal Chapel features examples of architecture, décor and artworks by some of the leading masters of their times: Nikodemus Tessin the Younger, Carl Hårleman and Georg Haupt.
Ever since the time of Magnus Ladulås in the 1200s there has not only been a chapel at the Royal Palace of Stockholm but also a clergy.
The present Royal Chapel is the third chapel in the palace grounds that we have detailed information about. Karl XI's newly inaugurated chapel was burnt down in the great fire of May 7, 1697.
Constructing a new Royal Chapel was a key part of architect Nikodemus Tessin's extensive commission to build a new palace after the fire.
Carl Hårleman completed the chapel's interior in the middle of the 1700s, to a large part following Tessin the Younger´s drawings. Sculptures, statues and ceiling paintings have been carried out by the foremost craftsmen of the period.
The Royal Parish's members consist of the employees of the Royal Court and their families. Every Sunday mass is held where naturally everyone is welcome.
The Royal Chapel is also open during the summer month and in connection with organ and classical music concerts.